What is a swishing party and how does it work – How to organize a clothes swap party and save money and the planet. Looking for a new outfit for every single occasion is exhilarating, right? Why not swank one!!
Have you had an eye on your best friend’s dress for a long time and want to own that outfit but are not sure exactly how to ask? A clothing swap event is the perfect place to gather with friends, family, and community members, where all of you exchange clothes, bags, shoes, gadgets, and, why not, books.
Swish parties are a hot new fashion trend that is rapidly growing every year. Many people embrace the idea to become more responsible about consuming fashion and clothes exchange can have an enormous impact on saving the planet.
I’ve been once to a swishing party, and I find it very entertaining, where everyone shares a positive vibe and are curious to see what goodies they will take home.
Besides shopping responsibly, the idea of swishing parties is fun and a great opportunity to meet new people and make new friends. Swishing is the effortless route to refresh your closet! It’s guilt-free shopping, shopping with no remorse, shopping with no cost to your pocket, and great for the environment.
Swishing endeavors like giant clothes swank: you bring items” NEW” you no longer desire to wear and trade them for something new-to-you! There are 3 phases in a standard swish, donate, sort, and event opening.
A party to fulfill the yearning to look good without hurting the planet and to make eco-friendly fashion statements by avoiding the impulsiveness to buying new outfits. ‘Swishing’ parties are a great sociable and entertaining way to obtain trendy garments without spending a penny.
The credit goes to Baroness Jenkin for conceiving the idea of Swishing almost eight years ago. She says swishing parties are a tremendously superb means to revive your wardrobe.
The simple answer would be that we love new clothes. According to a 2018 study, 70 percent of clothing in British closets is seldom worn. But outfits that might otherwise be abandoned resting long-forgotten in the wardrobe can be procured new life if passed on. It could be any piece of garment, a coat, a scarf, a bag, or a dress that you no longer desire in your wardrobe that could be “THE” new clothing for others.
So, swish is the time to test the value of those undesired garments. The key focus of clothes swap events is you don’t need to buy new garments to look perfect, rather, be well-read about the circles you mingle.
Tips for organizing a clothing swap
At clothes swap events, a group of people gathers to exchange wearable clothing, jewelry, or shoes. Some may even swap accessories like scarves and even leather bags. Such events could be organized as small casual parties with friends or larger events like fundraisers.
Below are a few guidelines to help you learn how do you organize a clothing swap.
Getting organized involves deciding an appropriate spot, date, and time, and advertisement for the clothes swap event. There should be buffer time for donating the items way before the swish event begins. Everyone should be requested to raid their closets and pick an item they would like to swap.
You might like to read:
The secret of how bloggers can afford designer clothes
10 most affordable leather wallets
Top trendy and chic summer maxi dresses
One of the most important rules of a clothing swap is to inform your guests about prohibited items, such as swimwear, loungewear, and lingerie, these items should not be brought to such an event.
Plan on how the items should be displayed. Should they be set on shelves, tables, or chairs? The key focus is to provide a new home for every garment being donated, there is a possibility some garments will be leftover. So, you need to plan well in advance what you will do with these left-over items. The best way would be to donate it to the nearest charity center.
How does swish/swap work?
The guests arrive, donate their items,s and receive a token for each item donated. As talked about before, you may have finalized a display style for this clothes swap event, and arranged the donated items in the selected display style.
To make a better impression, you should arrange some refreshments for the guests. Meanwhile, the guests should be provided enough time to look through the displayed goodies.
Are there Rules?
- The key rule is each guest should bring at least one item.
- When the swish event is open, whatever a person takes from the display is theirs. There is no way you are getting your donated things back.
- No exchange of money should be involved.
- Try to be fair square. There may be chances that two people end up fighting for the same item. Toss a coin, and the winner gets it.
- No guest should be allowed to claim any of the displayed items before the swish is open.
Top tips for organizing a fantabulous clothes swap event
- Analyze and create a thorough guest list. Once done, send out invites personally via mail or social media as convenient. Ensure that the invite clearly displays the venue and timings of the event. Encourage guests to confirm their attendance via email or phone.
- Preparation is the key to hosting a fantabulous swish ?. Ensure that you have all the necessary display material, the racks, or the shelves.
- Arrange refreshments for the guests.
- Sorted items give a good impression and ease for guests. The items can be sorted by type, say shorts and pants can go on 1 rack, dresses on the other, and so on. If the swish party is a very large scale, it is advised to sort the donated items by size as well.
- A swish party sounds like a fun event, but this fun event can be an extreme pleasure combined with a glass of booze. What a pleasure is shopping for free while enjoying a glass of prosecco. Good tunes and a little booze lits up the event.
- Create a sense of drama with soft lighting, and try to make the room look pleasantly glamorous. You are inviting people to shop; please ensure you install a few full-length mirrors. It’s up to the host to arrange a fitting area or not.
- Keep your team motivated and ready to handle any situation. The swishing event can get super busy, which means, must have enough people to receive and sort items and resolve issues, if any.
- You bring something in and take home a different item. Encourage guests to bring quality clothes and shoes
- No panic, please, prepare, invite, organize, and enjoy. Don’t forget that the reason to organize a clothes swap event is to gather people to share their love for fashion, gadgets, and books.
In the end, I want to add that if you’re going to sell your clothes and accessories, you can organize a clothing sale party, either at your home or rent a small space in an office or a shopping center.
Sometimes when you have luxury clothes, designer bags, and shoes, it is logical that you want to raise some money, let’s say at least 40% of their value, and a clothing sale party is so much easy to manage, is secure, and hassle-free, compare with selling them online.
A swishing party can be applied for luxury clothes too, but not many people own designer items, so is best not to take valuable goods to such an event to avoid leaving disappointed. That might not be the case if you attend a designer swishing party, although, from my research, there is not much information or events for luxury clothes.
Back To School Cute And Trendy Backpacks That You Will Love
Cute Unisex Oversized Aesthetic Hoodies
65 Cute Baby Blue Nails Design Perfect For Everyday
Pin this image to your Pinterest board